Grab Dr Brassy's Blogger Badge

 photo 8ba4e6b6-d2a7-4111-93c1-be0ead57b733_zps042c7e63.jpg

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Steampunk Makering and Jewelry Design- How to do it like the Pros and Why "Naked" is (almost) always better. -Part 2

This is Part 2 of  Steampunk Makering and Jewelry Design-How to do it like the Pros and Why "Naked" is (almost) always better

I left off last week with E6000 and a whole lot more information to pass along to you. So here goes.....
Ice Resin



Cups and sticks

I love Susan Lenart Kazmer's Ice Resin product. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's the mixing supplies that I am going to talk about. First off, you don't get enough in the package. If you are like me, you will use 3 cups with each batch, so both the cups and the Popsicle sticks get used up pretty quickly and long before the product is gone. So what to do? I let my fingers do the walking on Amazon and found not only the 2 ounce medical cups at $2.26 for 100 count, but also larger cups which, for many of us, looking to make larger batches, is a dream come true. I also found Wooden Popsicle sticks in a 50 count for $1.02. I stocked up on all of these and now buy the largest size Ice Resin I can get, without the kit. Not really doing resin naked, but still feels pretty freeing.  *Hint: Small 3 oz squeeze bottles with a fine tip also make for great Ice Resin delivery systems. 

Vanity Fair Premium Dinner Plates
Vanity Fair Premium Dinner Plates. I have talked about these before and I can't say enough about them. Resin pops right off. Ink stays on here instead of on you. Beads won't roll off. These plates just make my life easier all the way around. When I am working on a design, I will put all the components on the plate and then if I run into artists block, I can set it aside to work on later when inspiration hits. Get some of these. You can find them on sale at Walgreens or Target for $3.99 for a 32 pack. *Hint: Sams Club has 100 packs for even more savings.

Tools and More Tools
Having the right tools for the job-Up to this point, I have been telling you how to save money by buying "Naked", or items in their most base, stripped down, form.  Now I am going to tell you what to do with all that money you saved. Whether it's the ball peen hammer, the tin snip scissors that cut metal, the ring or bracelet bending tool, or a plethora of different size and shape pliers....You have to have the tools for the job or you are working way harder than you need to. From hole punches, to bead reamers, to nylon jawed pliers... Figure out what you need and then buy the best tools you can afford. Cheap tools will not last. They will break, hurt your hands, rust and generally disappoint.
Don't be afraid to fabricate your own tool holders. See the wood block below with the dapping set? That's home-made and it works just dandy keeping my dapping balls right where I can get to them.  Everyone should be able to get to their balls in a hurry. At least that's what Great-Gramma Steamington used to always tell us kids when she was sitting on the porch drinking home-made moonshine in Kentucky....Wait? What was I talking about?
Heat gun, soldering wand and Dremel


Fire block, torch, soldering wand and gun
















Dapping Set in wood base


Copper stampings organized by size
Resin cameos organized by color and size
Silver gears organized by shape


















Silver chains by type and length
Resin flowers organized by color



The last thing I am going to talk about is organization. You can't make it if you can't find it. You should be organized within an inch of your life? Why?

Have you ever placed an order for supplies, just to find out that you already had 24 of whatever you just ordered, hidden in the bottom drawer on the left behind the _________? I have. Enough times that I went, "That's it. I am getting organized!"

I spent a good two weeks organizing, by size, material, color, supplier....anything that was a catagory that made sense to me. Maybe you have a whole Bsueboutiques cabinet or a hand made clay beads drawer. Whatever works for you, so you know what you have and what you don't-Do it.

Segmented bead trays are my main stays in organizing and once again, I headed over to Orchard Supply and Harbor  Freight, to get em Naked. I pay half for the trays at the manly-man stores that my fictional friend "Burl" likes to  frequent vs. Beverlies Craft.

WHEW! I am exhausted. That was a great deal of info, so I had to split it into two blog posts. I hope I did not overwhelm with too many hints going in too many different directions. Even if you only take one thing away from this post and implement it into your makering and design work, I hope it will save you some money, make you better organized or give you better tools to make magic with your art without breaking your back or your bank account.

Much Love and Happy Makering.....
Dr Brassy


 

1 comment:

  1. I don't wear much jewelry, but I love just about every piece you posted! My favorites are the hand-stamped ring, the & necklace.. and if I were a mom, I would absolutely want the necklace with my kids' handwriting.

    Custom Design Jewelry

    ReplyDelete